Monday, December 28, 2009

Goodbye! Selamat jalan! Zai Jian! Ok maams!

So today I turned 30 (again) :) and I had a great birthday. But there was just a feeling of sadness hanging over the air all day today. Because not only was today my birthday, but today a wonderful family and good friends of mine boarded a plane to start their new life in Singapore. Deanna and Jason Dowdy and their two kids Tanner (almost 4) and Paige (almost 1) couldn't pass up this wonderful opportunity! Jason has family who own a successful business in Singapore and they invited him to join their company. They offered him full training and competitive salary and pretty good stipends for living expenses. So this was a great opportunity for them to move there for a while, save as much as possible, and then move back to the States in 10 years or so. =( I have been dreading this day for a while now.



I don't know what to say about The Dowdys or where to begin. I just know I love them. Plain and simple. They are the coolest most laid back couple I ever met. (well... maybe as long as Jason is behaving. wink wink) We met this couple and their adorable Golden Retriever Bowdy shortly after moving into our house. Their house was being finished and they were walking the 'hood. I will never forget the day they came into our house to look around since they had the same model as us, and we struck up a conversation. We became instant friends. Two years later, the baby boom happened. Deanna was the first to have a baby in 2006 and I was the last. Tanner was born in January and Ella was born in November. There were like 10 babies born in our neighborhood that year alone. Talk about a busy neighborhood!



I always call Deanna the Mayor and she would always crack up. Growing up here in Arizona she has a big circle of friends and family. I remember selfishly wishing one day that she were from out of town and didn't have this big network in place, cause I would maybe get more time with her. In truth I wish I spent more time with her. I just couldn't seem to be pushy enough to break the inner circle just due to how in demand she was. But every time I hung out with her I had fun and she always made me laugh. We would often give each other a look and know exactly what each other was thinking and then crack up laughing like it was our little secret. We tended to think alike too. I joke around she was my therapist at times, as she was so easy to talk to and unload on. I probably owe her some money for it! Ha ha! Anyway bottom line is she is the type of friend that will be there for you if you need it. She will be your friend forever as long as you are good to her and her family. She will always be willing to hang out and have fun and just go with it. She doesn't have the loudest voice or personality in the room but she for sure has the loudest laugh... you can't miss it! Ha ha!



Now that she embarks on this new journey with her family, I am going to miss her tons and look forward to them coming home once a year for a visit. Ella and Tanner are going to be penpals and Ella is so excited that she is going to be getting mail!! She can't wait to send Tanner pictures and fill him in on what goes on here at home. The title of this blog includes Goodbye in the four main languages of Singapore (English, Malay, Chinese (Mandarin), and Tamil) but what I really want to say is this: I love you dearly Dowdy Family. Goodbye my friends. Till I see you again. Be safe, be well, be happy. Nothing is permanent, everything is temporary. Hang in there, plant your feet, establish roots and friendships and networks. It wont be easy. It will take time, but it will happen. You have all our love and support at home and you're only a plane ride away should you get lonely and want to come home. Give it your best shot, but rid yourself of the pressure to stay there for any set number of years. Stay as long as you feel it is right and then come home. You are not dead, you are just overseas. Your real friends will make the effort to stay in touch. I will cry often when I think of you but I will also laugh often when I think of you. I cant wait to get your letters and skype with you. I cant wait to watch Baby Paige taking steps on the webcam and hear if either kid develops an accent. And lastly, I cant wait to see Tanner and Ella's story on dateline someday. The kids who were pen-pals for 10 years and fell in love through their letter and were reunited in time to start dating, go to prom together, become high school sweethearts, fall in love, go to college together, get married and have beautiful babies... sigh. Ha ha just kidding. (sort of) Ha Ha. ;)



Hope you enjoyed these collages of my 5+ years with the Dowdys! XOXOXOXOXO Dowdy Family. Talk to you soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment